Monday, May 9, 2011

Over and Done

Getting older is no fun.  Nor, as a friend stated succinctly, does a desk job adequately prepare one for hard, manual labor.  I don't recall being that sore before in my life.  And while I put sunscreen on the usual suspect parts, I forgot the back of my calves, and they were still stinging two days later!

My "incredibly rich soil basically free of rocks" seemingly turned to hard pan clay with nothing but rocks. :-(  I started with my little Mantis, but that was barely scrapping the top.  I then switched to this sturdy relic, but it broke. 


To its credit, it did a great job, albeit slow.  My Dad then brought in the 4-wheel drive tractor with a tow behind rototiller.  Ahhh... That finally did the job.  Four passes per bed later, and I finally had 6 inches of tilled soil. 

Dad and I then hauled too many to count wheelbarrow loads filled of aged manure. 


I also tossed in a bale of hay and some grass clippings from the latest lawn mow for good measure.  Ran the tiller over it again, and I now have 4 beautiful beds, ready to go.



Yes, this took 3 days of work minus one rain storm, one neighborhood party, church, and a mother's day lunch with the family.

I spent a lot more time prepping the garden than anticipated and was only able to get the following planted: asparagus, strawberries, snap peas, chives, parsley.

Chives

Strawberry

Parsley

Proof that I actually rototilled my own garden.


I live in a beautiful place, even if I do say so myself.

There is an apple tree in my garden, and the weather has finally warmed up enough for the blossoms to start.

Setting sun.

No comments: